View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #14
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
...I don't see a way to switch the default epub viewer within Calibre to something outside of Calibre's own viewer.
It's a two step process. Calibre isn't able to specify what external app to use. You need to:
  1. On the Preferences>Behavior panel in calibre, uncheck ePub in the sections labled "Use internal viewer for:". Calibre will now simply pass the Open requests to the OS for it to deal with finding an app.
  2. Set your OS to use Freda as the default viewer for ePub format. On Windows you can right-click on an ePub file, select "Open with", select "choose another app", select Freda, check the "Always use..." checkbox and then click OK. On macOS you use the Get Info box to perform the same chore.

Personally, I prefer to export from Calibre using its Save to Disk function, saving to a folder I've created for the purpose, and then, in Freda, import the books from that folder. I leave calibre set to use its internal viewer and leave Edge set as the Windows OS default.

Last edited by dwig; 02-24-2019 at 05:45 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote