View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 12:20 PM   #7
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
(disclaimer: I am the developer of the Freda app)

Freda is designed to be installed from the Store, and installing it any other way is not something I can support or recommend. There is not really any good way to distribute UWP apps (like Freda) outside the Store. It is technically possible to install this type of app package directly on a PC, without going through the Store, but to do it you may need to click 'OK' on a whole series of alarming warnings from Microsoft Windows (Warning: this app was probably produced by criminals! Do you want to give these criminals permission to steal all your data and wipe your hard drive? Click "Yes, I am a gullible fool" if you wish to continue with this crazy course of action). If I officially published a Freda app file for people to use this way, I would end up having to deal with all kinds of complex questions, and quite possibly legal challenges from anyone whose PC stopped working some time after they installed Freda on it.

If you really want to install Freda outside of the Store, the procedure is:
1) Put your machine into developer mode, and change its security settings to allow the side-loading of unapproved/un-signed application files (APPX files)
2) Find a copy of the Freda APPX file, and put it somewhere on your PC
3) Double-click on the file, and every time Windows shows you an alarming warning, say "go ahead"
4) Freda will now appear, just like any other app, on your launcher menu

If you search the internet (or even ask me nicely) you can get a copy of Freda's APPX file.

But please be aware that those Microsoft warnings are there for a reason. The Store infrastructure does protect you from apps behaving badly (whether because of malicious intent, or because of a bug), and by side-loading an app, you're losing all those protections. Also, the side-loading procedure can fail in various ways that might can leave your PC in a bad state (it's only happened to me once, but it took me hours to fix, and it involved using various developer knowledge-resources and tools).

Last edited by Jim Chapman; 02-24-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote