View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
... the chapter in which a student dies (the most controversial) ....
That reminds me of some of the furor over Bridge to Terabithia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Ok, I haven't actually heard of a teacher comparing Hamlet to Anakin Skywalker, but I bet someone is doing it.
I don't think Hamlet ... main character in the 'Scottish Play', perhaps, but Hamlet I don't see.

I think this makes much better sense as an approach to reading, spend the first part of their school years getting them interested in reading, possibly through Junior High, but I'd think at least through 6th grade. Choose books that they want to read and will enjoy, then slowly teach them how to read them beyond the simple enjoyment phase, then by High School, they'll be in a better position to face the harder stuff, and they'll likely already have an enjoyment of reading.

But under no circumstances should 9th graders be made to read Lord of the Flies.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote