Thread: Seriousness Anyone else like old radio shows?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does anyone else on MR enjoy listening to old radio shows - the ones from the days when radio, rather than TV, was the popular entertainment of its day?

I just love them, I must admit, especially detective and SF shows, of which huge numbers were made. We have a digital radio station here in the UK (BBC Radio 7) which broadcasts nothing but serialised books, and old (and new!) drama, comedy, etc, from the 1940s right up to the present day. I'm a huge fan - I have a digital radio with a timer and an SD card slot to record on, so I record all the "installments" of a show or book and then listen to them on my iPod.

At the moment, for example, they're doing a whole run of "Paul Temple" detective series from the 1950s. Great stuff!

Anyone else enjoy this kind of thing? What are your favourite shows?

I have to add, though, that I find old comedy shows totally "non-funny". "The Goon Show" for example - what a load of old twaddle! I suspect that such things are very "generational" in their appeal.
There are a lot of OTRs on archive.org. I love the Sherlock Holmes and Sam Spade OTR shows, Dragnet and Gunsmoke.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote