View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #45
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One author I don't like is Elizabeth George. Her books are too depressing, and I find her depiction of Britain to be unconvincing (she's an American author writing "British" books). I think in general it's a bad idea for an author to write books set in a country which is not their own, although I have heard it said that Lee Child is reasonably convincing as a British author writing "American" books.
Elizabeth George is not one my favorites.

I love Martha Grimes Richard Jury and Melrose Plant books, though. I was rather taken aback when I found out that she was American.

They are quite whimsical in a way, but with good mysteries, a wide cast of interesting and consistent characters, and a few quite dark moments. Reminiscent of Sayers and Allingham, but set in the 60's on IIRC.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote