View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #28
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
question is does the kobo freeze with say 5000 books or not.

some people say it does and some people say it don't.

also loading via calibre make any difference?
Some things that can contribute to a slowdown/freezing are the number of shelves, database or filesystem corruption, and bad books. All of these could be bigger problems or more likely to happen with a large number of books.

Also I guess that if someone has 5000 books then they probably loaded them all at once without checking each one for problems, and so there is no way to find which book is causing the problem, whereas if they accumulate books over a long time and load each one by one then they might notice if one suddenly causes a slowdown.

Shelves are known to cause a slowdown, and the more books on the shelves the slower it gets. (I don't use shelves though).

Edit: Also, if someone has 5000 books then they will almost certainly have exceeded the FAT limit on the number of files in the images directory, unless they have been careful to use very short filenames (I worked out that if you keep each filename to less than 8 characters, e.g. 1234567.epub, then you can get about 5400 books before running into the limit, but most will run into problems with far fewer books than that), or have taken other steps such as modifying the database manually or using non-FAT filesystem.

Last edited by GeoffR; 05-22-2013 at 08:57 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote