Thread: Name that book?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 01:02 AM   #1062
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Answering my own post from this thread over a year ago...

I finally remembered, the short story was "Alien Earth" by Edmond Hamilton, copyright 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I'm trying to remember a sci-fi/fantasy short story.

[ spoilers ahead ]

It took place in a remote forest, and one of the characters was moving about in extreme slow motion. At this slow speed, all the plants and trees were "alive" and moving about with purpose. e.g., tree branches would be reaching out and swatting at things, vines would shoot out to grab things. To reach this slow motion state, the character drank some kind of potion, and the extreme slow state was called "hunati" or something similar. In the end of the story, some biological plague was introduced and as it spread through the forest, in the slow state, the character could observe it rapidly spreading through the forest, tress were screaming in pain, etc.

Any ideas what this short story was? I probably read it in some large sci-fi collection book.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote