Thread: Why I like EPUB
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Another reason is that editing an EPUB version book is something almost anyone can do. I know that a lot of people here with Sony devices still prefer LRF files, but personally I always convert even these to EPUBs. Once in that file format anyone with a program to decompress the file (and who doesn't have one of these) and enough basic knowledge of HTML and CSS can reformat the the book however they please.
Yes, almost anyone can do it... yet there are a few of readers who are willing to dig into it. No hard feelings about it, but it looks to me that Sigil and other self-contained tools have a chance of capturing (at least) 90% of ePub editing/fixing.

I have no idea why it is so. It is so easy that it is laughable. But mention command line zip/unzip utilities and (oh, horrors!) editor, and the big chances are that you lost them, right there.

BTW, I love the format. It is standard, simple, and holds a solid potential to evolve to whatever is/will be needed.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote