View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #23484
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm with Stitchawl, ProfCrash and VydorScope - I would tread VERY carefully with this one. The savings are clearly attractive, but think long and hard about the strains it will put on both relationships (your bf and your parents). And be prepared to give up on a sex life...

They do say you can never go home, and what I think is meant by that is that once you do (and I have experienced this), your parents start to treat you like a kid again, rather than the mature adult you now are, causing conflict. If you were asking me if I would do it, I would say a definite no, but then maybe your parents are more enlightened than mine are/were.
There's absolutely no way I would give up my sex life! We're not the kind of couple that screams like they're being tortured every time they have a go at it. Our bed doesn't squeak and we can be quiet. They know we're a couple, and sex is a part of every relationship. They probably don't want to, but they'll have to accept that their daughter is sexually active.

I think my parents will except that we have our own lives now. And in case they don't, we plan to make it very clear to them that we will follow the house rules but that those rules can't be seem as the ones I had to follow when I was 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Wave 'goodbye' to spontaneity. No more sex on the kitchen table...
Yes, of course ... This is one of the things we're worried about, because we're all about spontaneity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
This is a cultural (perhaps anomaly in your case) event usually location-specific. In northern East Coast cities and mid-America rural, is it MORE common for children to live with parents until much older. In NYC, most will remain at home until married, as the cost of finding their own place is so dear. On the west coast, it MORE common for the whole family to get involved with the child's move out of the house at age 18 (or when finished school.)
Some of our friends have moved back home while they were building. We even moved in with my grandparents when my parents were building their house. So it's quite common here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Iridal - It is a hard decision to make and lots of variables to the decision. Every situation and couple is different. It may be easier for you to be comfortable back at home, but it may be a bit harder for your fiance; you just never know.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

Fresh coffee in my cup.
Thanks It is very hard, and we're still looking at apartments as well as thinking about moving in with them. We're trying to find apartments that are rented for about 400€, and they are very hard to find. When we do find them, they usually turn out to be poorly maintained. But even with rent that low, the difference in money saved would be about 8000€ in a year.
We're taking our time deciding. We have until the end of the month to make a decision.

I had cappuccino in my cup, it's all gone now. Time for breakfast and then hopefully I can get some work done today!

Last edited by Iridal; 02-06-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote