View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #42
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
I agree with you on the amount.

But there is always the same problem: while if you're caught without your ticket in the tube, you're actually using it, nobody can prove that, having downloaded a book, you're actually reading it.
In other words, I completely agree with a disincentivation of reading "illegal" books, but, in my opinion, the mere occupation of some disk space is not at all the same thing.
The simple possession of a digital copy of a book does not harm the author nor the publisher. It's the actual access to the content that do the harm.
So, I'm OK with a 50x fine, as long as the actual reading of the book is proved beyound any reasonable doubt.
If not, it's like to arrest somebody on the scene of a crime without any evidence he actually committed it, so it's a big NO.
We could go a bit further and say that we should only have to pay for books that we have read and enjoyed. Of course this would bring the honor system into play, and if we are going to use that we might as well just do away with copyright and go donation based.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote