View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
levander
levander began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Without handwriting, what's the point of Touch?

Started getting me interesting in Sony because it's readers used Touch instead of thumb keyboard. So, I bought a PRS-600. The handwriting works well enough, but the note-taking software isn't so great. Every time you write something on a book page, it makes a new note. I'd a lot rather be able to highlight something in a book, write something on the page about the highlight, then have that stored as a single note.

And then there's the glare issue with the PRS-600 that's not horrible, but just a little too much to deal with.

So then I'm excited about the PRS-650, that's supposed to get rid of the glare issue! But, I'm reading on this forum, and the handwriting feature sounds like it's worse than it was on the PRS-600. Like the PRS-650 doesn't register the touch fast enough to keep up or something.

Thing is, what's the uber-usefulness of touch if not handwriting? Is it just so you can swipe the screen to turn the page? It's a little nicer than pushing a button, but all in all, it's a so what.

I'd get a Kindle instead, but the thing is I keep my electronics for 10 years easy. I try hard not to buy anything that I don't want around in 10 years (except food) to avoid getting all kinds of clutter around. And, the thing is, I have no faith in Amazon's mobi format being around that long. If Kindle supported EPUB, I'd definitely get a Kindle.

But, the thing is, given my options, it's seeming like a cheap Kindle is the best option. Then I'll just throw it away in a couple of years...
levander is offline   Reply With Quote