View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaumann View Post
Hi,

<long intro>
in the past I had all my books on my Sony PRS-T1 (around 5000, with 2000 series). Finding a book was a bit slow at times, but all in all worked pretty well.

Now I bought a Kobo Glo, and while I'm very happy with the hardware, the software is beginning to irritate me. I put the 8GB sd card I had in my PRS-T1 in the device (formatted as FAT on a Mac) and used calibre to move all my books over there. The device needed a few hours to parse the information (which is ok in my opinion) and then, when I tried to open the list of shelves, simply stopped... Finding and opening a single book worked at least once. Now, when I reboot, the system halts if I do not remove the sd card... If I then put the sd card back into the device it needs half an hour and then starts the parsing again...

This leads me to the conclusion that the Kobo might not be able to work with the number of series I have, and is only barely able to work with the number of books (aah, how I would like my PRS T1 to glow in the dark).

<rambling>
Now, for a small number of books the Kobo is quite nice... (if you ignore the missing back button, but don't get me started on that).
</rambling>
</long intro>

I have marked the books that I want to read with a custom column, in the case of series the first in the series. Is there a way to not only select all books based on the custom column, but also all books that are in the same series?

Cheers, Joachim
IN calibre Alt+Shift+S will get all books in the series, but only for one series at a time.

On my mini the more books you have in a collection, the longer it takes to open the shelves.

I had one collection of 400 books which made the shelf opening time more than 40 seconds. removing thet collection (not removing the books) cut the time to about 22 seconds.

I had 3 largish collections of maybe 60 books, removing these collections cut the time to 11 seconds.

These books were still on reader in series collections with less than 20 books each, so it seemed to me that the number of books in each collection, is the big factor since I still had 400+books and 92 collections instead of 96.

My T1 has more than 2000 books and 790 collections, with several collections of 90+ books and takes less than 3 seconds to open the collection menu. Go figure
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote