View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #32
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, your statement about not being changed by the device is wrong.
Well that was before I realised it was being used for the language setting, which makes sense.

Quote:
Not they didn't. It is on the partition that is visible when connected to a PC. The base directory stars with a dot, so that is not as visible to a unix based machine. But it is a directory that Kobo people have told us to look in. And I have even been told by Kobo to make changes to the conf file in the past.
I don't think it's visible on a Windows PC either unless you have "show system folders" enabled but I couldn't swear to that as I mostly use my Kobo with Linux.

It doesn't surprise me that Kobo may have told specific people to change things in the conf file in a tech support setting to resolve or investigate a specific issue - that's not the same as saying this is generally a setting they expect most people to change by editting the file. I'm not even saying people shouldn't experiment with it and see what happens - as long as they're ultimately prepared for the consequences which may be a factory reset.

All I'm saying is that calling the developers stupid for a possible side-effect of a change that they reasonably don't expect anyone to make manually is not fair. Even if there was a "change timezone setting" menu item and it caused problems with the sync then that would be a bug but even then I personally wouldn't call the developers stupid.

I think I'm done on this thread. I apologise for the diversion. This is a useful discovery of a helpful tweak - kudos to the OP for finding it.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote