View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Fuse Timer Puzzle

This one's adapted from http://www.rinkworks.com/brainfood/p/discrete5.shtml

You like your boiled eggs to be boiled for exactly three-and-a-half minutes.

Unfortunately, you've broken your three-and-a-half minute egg timer, and the only other timing mechanism in the house are some slow-burning four minute fuses*. NB. I mean fuses that burn for exactly four minutes, not four fuses that burn for a minute each!

Unfortunately (again), you know that the fuses do not burn at a uniform rate, so you can't just cut one of them to a three-and-half minute length.

Can you time exactly three-and-a-half minutes for your egg using the four minute fuses? If so, how?

Oh - and spoiler tags around answers please. Many thanks to all of you who remembered without me reminding you.

*No, I don't know why you have four-minute fuses in the house either. And yes, you do have some matches as well.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-23-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Forgot the spoiler tags reminder
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote