View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #53
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
How so? I was just leering at a ThinkPad with touch screen at Staples and the entire package -- with a much faster processor than the iPad and of course running a full-blown OS -- went for exactly the same price as the 128GB iPad.

The main arguments for the iPad seem to be the form factor, the number of available professional apps, and its usefulness to people involved in specific disciplines within the arts. Anyone can enjoy using an iPad (or not), of course. But if you're talking about which thing is most cost-effective, I'd have to choose PC laptops over iPad iterations.
You also have to balance your idea of cost-effectiveness against usefulness in the real world... and not just for iPads... I use a tablet in lots of ways and locations that I wouldn't use a laptop (and recently got rid of a laptop because I was rarely using it)... I can use a tablet for work and relaxation anywhere (in the house or elsewhere) with no problem but using a laptop requires a more structured usage - a support/tray to stop it overheating and/or overheating my legs, a specific seating position to allow for the weight and form factor etc. Allowing for how something's used is also a critical part of cost effectiveness, not just the processor and OS...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote