View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
  1. A reliable device - I am aware that problems can occur in any machine, but i wonder if they appear more in one device than the others.

The KT and Sony T1 are reliable devices. I don't know a thing about Pocketbook so I cannot speak to them.
  2. Good support - this is linked to the above. It is important because i won't be able to leave it in a store and have it solve things with the repair company for me or have a place to go and make a complaint if necessary. I've read that the Kindle support is very good (since firmware updates to exchange of defective unit); Sony not so much; Pocketbook seemed ok, but would love to hear more about it. Note: didn't like the way Sony handled the first complaints about the T1; too much time to respond.

Amazon regularly ranks as having the best customer support of all of the e-book manufacturers and online stores. They are really anal about Customer Service and that is across the Globe. Sony appears to be hit an miss. Pocketbook is unknown to me.
  3. Reasonably fast processor.

I think you are fine with any of the e-readers
  4. Not too complicated to operate.

I think you are fine with any of the three
  5. Dictionaries - en-en and with the possibility to add more. I don't know if any of the devices has a En-Pt dictionary.

The Kindle does not come with one, I don't know if the Sony or Pocketbook does. I know SOny comes with more dictionaries then the Kindle but I have no clue if they include Portugese (sp sorry)
  6. Would prefer a reader with turning page buttons, but if the Kindle proves to be worthy, i'll let it pass.

Obviously you know the KT does not have page turn buttons, which sucks. The touch screen is suppose to be excellent though.

Some questions:
a) Would i be able to download books from Dropbox with the Pocketbook 622?

No clue

b) How stable is the Sony now? Are there issues unadressed by Sony? If so, which?

It sounds like Sony has addressed most of these issues

c) Are there major issues with the Kindle Touch? Does the touch feature work well?

All reports are that the touch works fine. There are some folks who have had problems but then there were people who had problems with the buttons (accidently hitting them) and the keyboard (accidently typing letters). What am I saying? No device is perfect for everyone and that there are people who are going to have trouble no matter what you do. The vast majority of folks have not had a problem with the Touch Screen.

d) for the Pocketbook 622 users: are there problems with the device?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote