Thread: iPad Embedded Fonts
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How well does the Kobo app render ePub vs iBooks and does Kobo support embedded fonts? How easy is it to get your won ePub onto the iPad for the Kobo App to display?
To me the Kobo app is disappointing when compared to iBooks. On the plus side, Kobo made most of the books you already bought from them available to download to their iPad app. It does do a better job of rendering ePubs than the same book downloaded with Adobe Adapt looked on either the Astak or Sony 505.

The iPad Kobo app renders books fully justified. So far I haven't seen a place where sentences stop abruptly in the middle of the line only to start again on the next line at the middle of the page--that happened too often with the same ePubs on the eInk devices.

However, the only view available in the iPad Kobo app is full page--iBooks lets you turn the iPad on its side and presents the book in a two page rendering that I find easier to read. In the Kobo app some carriage-return and line-feed commands don't render properly so that in places you find a bolded, centered heading on the next line after a paragraph, followed on the very next line by the next paragraph. iBooks doesn't do that, at least, not with the books I've seen although I admit I haven't bought a second copy of a book from iTunes to compare the same, exact book.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote