View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
bobachoba
bobachoba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Large library on PC, looking for the best solution to read on tablet

Hello there!
I've been using Calibre for a long time, not a heavy browser of this forum even though I found here some valuable advice on plugins and configuring the software appropriately. I actually own a Kindle Paperwhite which is great for me, though it's not so snappy as my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro tablet turning pages (on Moon reader+) and the whole reading experience on a 12.2 tablet feels great, double pages on screen --> not for the faint of heart!

There are various reasons I'd like to read more on the Android tablet so I started looking for a solution to keep my Calibre library synched, even unidirectionally (PC library as master), simply working with a synced copy on my tablet's MicroSD card. Stumbled on CC and tested not extensively with 50-100 books in wireless mode, not server nor cloud, just wireless connection, it worked perfectly (I assume it could even support synchronization among PC and tablet books), but the major issue has been transferring all my family library (more than 10k books). Lot of disconnections, had to kinda refresh everything restarting the connection and letting CC re-read all the tablet catalog, etcetera. Sure with lot of time and patience, bits by bits (500 books every try), I could even locate all the library to the tablet but I came to the point that it doesn't seem time and attention worthy. Even tried with manual copy structured as CC seems to want the files to be in his folders, forcing him to restructure his library catalog, but at most it perceived 3000 books and no more (that could have been much faster than wireless transferring all, bit by bit).

So I'd be very happy to know if you have actually overcome my same problems or you have particular hints. Please mind that my main priorities are:

1) If possible, to have my entire large library synched among PC and Android stuff. Worst scenario, to be able to store locally my library, raw method copy-paste via usb, even on other devices (no metadata sync, so they have to be improved only on the main PC) conserving at least a good solution to retrieve separately notes and maybe highlighted texts.

2) To have a purposeful solution to highlight and maybe add notes to books I read, at least to be able to export them, so not strictly embedded to the epub/mobi files.

I thought about two possibilities I still have, one is to keep synced with a Cloud (Dropbox seems fine) just a maximum of 200 books and use CC to manage them, reading with Moon reader+ or FBreader... what about the notes? And is the Cloud usage fast enough or I have to wait like 5-10 minutes to load the list of 200 books? Or maybe I should copy all the library locally on the android device and then set the path as the main path for my favorite reader app? Dunno what to try, need some of your deep knowledge of the matter!

Thank you all readers,
boba

Last edited by bobachoba; 08-28-2017 at 12:56 PM.
bobachoba is offline   Reply With Quote