View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 10:39 PM   #71
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
And really, "thank goodness"? Watch "The Expanse", "2001: A Space Odyssey". Tell me they'd be better if they used "The Force" and light sabres.
They wouldn't be better. But that doesn't mean SF shows (or books) that take a different tack are "bad" or inherently dumb. Nor does it exclude them from the so called "real" SF club. All fiction is a form of fantasy anyway.

I really like The Expanse--both the books and the show. But the show is short-changing the humor present (dark or otherwise) in the books and is really forcing the Belter patois. There are whole conversations that are entirely unintelligible in the show, where it is used more sparingly in the books (and is easily picked up on via context). If being too serious and forcing viewers to learn a new language in order to understand what characters are talking about is smart, I'll take a bit more dumb any day.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-28-2017 at 10:41 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote