View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I still fail to grasp why - if Amazon bought Mobipocket to get the software - the Mobipocket DRM won't work on the Kindle? Or, why can't Kindle owners legally buy Mobipocket books from their website as with Webscriptions. Owned but separate? Or have I totally missed something here?
Companies by other companies for a wide variety of reasons that aren't always apparent to the outsider.

Reasons could be, killing competition, buying into an established market, people, technology, patents.

My belief is they bought MobiPocket for the people and technology. They did not buy it for the established business.

Why they chose not to go with a standard Mobi DRM or ePUB is simple Mobi DRM allows any book seller to sell that book. While amazon might be okay with selling their books to different eBook readers they are not okay with losing the control of the distribution.

My believe is the business model that will win the eBook frontier will be the one the comes up with the Gellete model. It's not the eBook Device that will win but those that have the best eBook support.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote