View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #140
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
We moderators are the main ones who wanted the change because, quite frankly, we're fed up with the daily requests for thread and post deletions in the ever-escalating War of the Affiliate Links. We're being worked to death for free on behalf of people who are earning money from our efforts. The only alternate we can see is to let duplicate threads and posts clutter the forum. Is that what you really want?
I apologize for using the 'report post' link this way - a moderator asked me to do so, as it was easier for the moderators to find (rather than the occasional email, where I bunched the requests into one message, with links to the post and exact title changes requested - which probably sent in once a week).

I will say, I think most of the ones I had reported recently were (a) not affiliate links in the duplicated posts (by new members, usually, with very few posts) and (b) the original posts were most often not even my posts (so no links for me with any affiliate links. I did report one post in the kindle bargains/freebies thread, as it was a duplicate (and that ONE thread is one that I managed, with off topic contents being discouraged and duplicate posts deleted). I really though arcdata and I kept that thread up pretty well and only now and then did the two of us post a duplication.

The only reason any of us requested thread title updates is that we can't make them ourselves and I had the impression that the consensus/rules were that the title must reflect the platform. Personally, I liked the (very) old way, where the format was omitted from the title, so it never had to be updated. But, there were numerous people who did post that they didn't like to be "duped" into opening a thread, only to find that the free book or bargain price was not for their specific platform (or, at least, not yet). I doubt they like the new format much better, though, and the resulting constant changing of thread titles was, no doubt, a burden on the moderators (I know, I moderate in another forum, also with all volunteers, with less traffic than here and still it can be a job to keep up on heavy posting days). Lest anyone think I profit from the links there and thus am "paid", that forum actually forbids links to any ebooksite directly (no amazon links, period, none to B&N, Sony or any other place where an item is "for sale").
koland is offline   Reply With Quote