View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #32375
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you're 45+, you will not 'get used' to them. You just don't have as much accommodation in your eyes as when you were younger, and if your glasses are correct for distance vision, you won't be able to see near things in focus.

I'm 54, and I now have varifocals which work well for me in general use - especially when driving, so I can read the dashboard controls!

But if you're under 40, it sounds like they may have got the prescription wrong, either in the test, or in the lenses. An optician should be able to quickly verify that the lenses are made to the new prescription correctly. If they are, then perhaps a re-test?
I think Blossom said she had been wearing her previous glasses for a long time - so long that she'd gotten to the point where she couldn't see much in the distance - and now she suddenly has a current much stronger prescription - so I suppose it's possible that it would take some time to adjust to such a big change even if the new prescription is correct and there is no presbyopia issue.

I had point during the progression of presbyopia where I had been wearing bifocals that had a distance portion and a reading portion, using the distance portion at the computer. Then when I got the next pair of bifocals with a stronger distance portion I could no longer see the computer clearly so I had to go back and get trifocals. They charged me only for the difference between the bifocal and trifocal price.

My experience has been that when I was a teenager I sometimes needed new glasses (for distance) every year; in my 20's, 30's and early 40's I could wear the same glasses for several years. But once I got to late 40's/early 50's it seems like I need new glasses every year.

The good thing is the computer glasses I bought a few years ago continue to be usable - I have been able to adjust the distance from my chair to the screen a little to compensate. So I haven't had to keep buying new computer glasses.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote