View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'd just like to repeat that the Wade-Porter translation is far from unreadable, and if those who aren't averse to reading pbooks can find a copy in a local library they might be pleasantly surprised. I know not everyone has a decent or local library.

I know when people were reading Homer and Virgil last year I thought it important to get a current translation rather than read 19th century efforts in the pubic domain, but Buddenbrooks, a 20th century novel with a 20th century translation, is a very different situation.

I've changed my position on this. When in the first flush of reaction it seemed that very few were going to be able to read the winner, I thought perhaps it should be reconsidered. But people are making their accomodations as would happen in any month and I'm personally ready to move on. This is a tough position to put sun surfer in and I don't think it's important enough for intervention or ultimately even fair to expect him to override a vote. Buddenbrooks won and while I didn't vote for it, I'm looking forward to reading it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote