View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #36
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
I am very familiar with ADA requirements. The last 8-10 years that I worked before I retired was spent almost exclusively re-modeling retail stores to comply with the ADA laws. Our main client was a very large (inter)national chain and it was very pro-active concerning the U.S. ADA.

The ADA laws are much more intrusive and far-reaching than most people are aware of and they effect anyone that wants to do business with the public in any way; and it only takes one person to complain to set a bureaucratic investigation into motion. Whenever I try to convey to someone just how strict, rigid, and uncompromising these laws can be I am usually met with disbelief and written off as an alarmist. This has happened on this board, in other threads where this subject has come up.

I don't see any library or educational e-reader program succeeding until the manufacturers comply with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines the NFB mention, at least not on a large scale. Some smaller districts may succeed ..... until that one person complains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Fortunately, ADA has limits.
Not many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
That may be grandfathered since they were doing it before the ADA was passed.
There is no such thing as a grandfather clause anywhere in the ADA. I know this from personal experience, having fought a losing battle with the DOJ over it on one project.

My experience with ADA may have been centered on building/construction issues and not technology but I say ..... you don't spend years looking at and searching thru the ADA rule books on a daily basis without running across and perusing the sections dealing with other issues.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote