View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I think the problem with English versions of Madame Bovary is that there are so many terrible translations around. You only need to read the first page to see what I mean.

The one that I tried to read a couple of years ago (the Wandsworth Classics edition) kept referring to the "new fellow" in the school, who would listen "with all his ears, ... not daring to lean on his elbows". When the boys came back into class, they would "throw their caps on the ground so as to have our hands more free ... We used from the door to them under the form" (whatever that means).

Other English editions are full of similar nonsense. I know there must be some good translations around. I might try reading this new annoted version in French, but I'd also welcome a recommendation for a good English version.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote