View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #15
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
This is my first time voting in this club (thank you for the invitation!), and I want to make sure I don't fluff it. If I understand it, I get four total votes? They must all be used on different works?

Assuming I've not misunderstood, I would like to vote for:

The Sea, the Sea by Iris Murdoch
The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara
Green Mansions by William Henry Hudson
Welcome, astrangerhere! Yes, you get four votes total (this month; it changes depending on the amount of nominations), but you can use up to two per nomination. So for example if someone wanted to use all four votes, they could give two votes to one nomination and two votes to another, two votes to one nomination and one vote each to two others, or one vote each to four nominations. It just so happened that this month no one used two votes on one nomination but it's possible.

It also just so happens that you barely missed the normal voting cut-off by about an hour! The actual cut-off time isn't posted since forum time can appear differently for every person depending on their time zone settings. For nominations the cut-off is pretty lax, being around four complete days but sometimes some hours longer until I begin the vote. However, voting generally has a stricter time frame of exactly four days from when I post commencing the vote regardless of if the final results aren't posted until a bit later.

That being said, guidelines are sometimes made to be broken. The stricter voting period was made for two reasons: so that everyone would know exactly when the vote was ending - similar to a poll - for the purpose of last-minute strategic votes, and to eliminate any possible grumblings of the club runner not closing the vote right away for a nefarious reason such as hoping for more votes for specific nominations. Also in the past there have been times where I shied away from making justified exceptions to our normal guidelines to similarly prevent any possible grumblings of making snap decisions not first extensively debated and put to a vote, but with this being the first month of our new club refresh, what better way to be out with the old? Fortunately I don't think there are any grumbling-prone members like that here now so it's easier to make exceptions when needed like this, and on top of that this has made me think that I'm going to give up worrying about such as that altogether and operate on the basis of others assuming the best of my intentions as I similarly will of them, which sounds like a great way to move forward for all our members past, present and future.

I didn't mean to catch you in the crosshairs of musing but suffice to say your votes will count.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote