View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #81
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
My friend, you are way too literal.
This was a metaphor for what?

Quote:
The point is that government-mandated prices are a bad idea, even when the recipient of said largesse provides a public service.
I didn't say that the government should set the prices, the publishers would still do that, but they shouldn't be allowed to triple the price that they chose for one person/organization.

Quote:
Yes, they can. And do.

A publisher can sell you a book directly at full price, while a retailer slashes the price by 50% or 75%. It happens all the time, with retailer discounts, used books and remaindered books.
I see that you have some difficulty comprehending the difference between <more> and <less>.

Quote:
Sure. They have to pay their taxes and obey the laws, just like everyone else.

If I self-publish a book, I get full control over how that book is distributed. I am not legally or morally required to provide the public with anything. If I decide I don't want libraries to distribute my book, should I be forced to do so?
Getting copyright should come with that.

Quote:
Why stop at imposing extra duties on publishers? What's so special about libraries, since there are so many public goods? Why not require gasoline companies to provide gas for free to fire departments? Free bullets to police? Free medicines to hospitals?
So now <wanting to pay less than 300%>=<wanting to get it for free>. Another metaphor?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote