View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #147
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
That's what copyright laws are for!
But my point is that copyright laws are ineffective. They don't prevent people copying information any more. They only really worked when copying things was difficult and expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Since when are movies free? They're not even free on broadcast television... advertisers pay for them, buying their entertainment and letting you see it to help sell their soap.
Ahh, well, when I mean "free" I mean "free to the consumer", which ad-supported stuff is. Someone pays for it, to be sure, but consumers don't, because they're not willing to, generally speaking.

And I was actually thinking of the vast number of movies you can download, for free, on the Internet. The movie studios, and the musicians, and the authors, are going to have to deal with that reality. Copyright law doesn't cut it anymore, and the genie isn't going back in the bottle. There's already a generation of people who are seeing every form of their entertainment be free. They won't want to buy a DVD or a CD when they can download it. Content creators can be unhappy about that, but I don't think they can change it. The world is changing, and they have to adapt - cursing the darkness isn't going to achieve anything.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote