View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I spend less now but I'm reading more books. How great is that?! This is largely due to the free sample chapters I get from Amazon. The only time I've bought a book without reading the sample first was when I was travelling out of the US and wasn't sure how easy it was going to be to get internet connectivity on my laptop. I was reading a series so I downloaded a few books ahead. I knew I'd want to read them anyway. Other than that, I grab samples of anything I'm interested in and don't buy the book until I'm done with the sample. This has saved me a surprising amount of money and the samples act like a "to-read" list.

Before, I used to go to a book store and try to buy enough books to last me a few weeks. Some of those books, I didn't end up liking enough to continue. Others, I never started because the mood for them passed. I'd estimate this accounted for a good 20% of my book purchases. Add to this the fact that I tended to buy a fair number of hardbacks since my main source of booklust is listening to NPR. Many of the interviews with authors are for relatively new releases. When I bought one of these and didn't finish it, that's $25 or so down the drain.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote