View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #66
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I agree with what you are saying, but the article was about programmers who write documentation for other developers. In those cases, good writing is critical. Writing that is difficult to understand, incomplete, or (worse yet) written in a matter that allows other developers to draw incorrect conclusions will likely produce more errors in the code.
Where are you getting that from? The heading of the article is

"The Real Reason Silicon Valley Coders Write Bad Software"

The sub heading is

"If someone had taught all those engineers how to string together a proper sentence, Windows Vista would be a lot less buggy."

Neither has anything to do with writing documentation.

In the actual article he says:

"That's partly because coding is not a solitary pursuit." and goes on to explain about documentation writing being important.

But he then goes on to say:

"Most importantly, though, explicit writing instruction reinforces the logic of language -- including the language of technology. "

Judging from the adjectives partly and most importantly, and the articles' headings, I'd say he considers documentation writing a relatively small aspect of his thesis.

And incidentally, I find his sub-heading utterly hilarious. Is he implying that Microsoft sent its engineers for language writing courses between Vista and 7?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote