View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #20
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Are cameras a transitional technology? Cell phones now have very high quality cameras. Camera companies, I'm sure, have seen slowing demand for single purpose cameras. There's no reason for cameras to exist.

It seems ridiculous stated that way...
Again, it depends.

To the average joe*, yes cameras** are transitional. The vast majority of people I know who used to own a dedicated point and shoot camera, now all use their iPhones. For snapshots and small 6x4 prints the quality and resolution of phone cameras is adequate for quite a lot of people.

However, to a photographer, no. Dedicated cameras have a place and the lens selection/range is critical for many situations. Not saying all photographers have to use a dedicated camera, I wouldn't be surprised to see some professionals with breathtaking photos taken with a mobile, but in general as you say, it's ridiculous to say a tech is transitional by only considering one use case, the avg joe.

Whilst on the topic, DSLR sales are on the up

* I don't think I'm the average Joe
**Phones have replaced cameras, or more precisely, point and shoot cameras. DSLRs have also hit a price point that makes then available to the market that craves more than point and shoot or camera phones offers. P&S customers have split ito either camera phone or DSLR users and really, the P&S can be considered for both the transitional tech.

Last edited by JoeD; 10-29-2012 at 07:35 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote