View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
JerryEF
JerryEF is on a distinguished road

Device: DellX51v / Amazon Kindle
PDA and a dedicated reader... Dealing with that too.

I have been using a dell X51v running WM5 as my eReading device for a few years. I have both mobi and MSReader formated books on it. Somewhere along the line the Mobi software for the WM5 developed problems doing Page Backs: After a few consecutive PageBacks, the reader completely looses its place and makes it difficult to continue where you were. While not a big issue for some, it has become a "show stopper" for me. Mobi has not seen fit to fix this bug and are now calling a "feature" to be incorporated in some future release. (good grief!!!) It has been an issue for well over a year. Other than this issue, I felt that the Mobi was the best of breed in the market. Because of their failing to fix the problem I have migrated most of my reading to MSReader format.

So along comes the latest generation of eInk devices including the Cybook and Kindle. I have decided I would like to move to this new technology. My Cybook will arrive in the next week or two and I received one of the first shipments of the Kindle. I want to see which will serve me best.

Observation so far...

I read in bed every night. The Dell PDA technology allows me to read easily with out the use of a reading light. The Kindle (and Cybook) will require a reading light. The wife is not at all happy about the reading light --- major outstanding issue! +1 for PDA

I greatly prefer the eInk (Kindle so far) to the PDA for daytime reading. The PDA was not practical for reading outdoors. +1 for eInk

Over the years I have accumulated a number of programs on the PDA that I can no longer live without (slight over statement). They will not run on any eInk devices -- So I must now carry two both devices and the cell phone and the Ipod (what a geek!).

If I go with the Cybook, I will be able to commit to the Mobi format. This will be useful, if they ever fix the WM5 PageBack problem; I will be able to purchase a single copy of a book and read it on the PDA (in bed) and the eInk during daytime. +1 Cybook

If I go with the Kindle, they have the MOST CONVINIENT way of purchasing ebooks I have seen. The ability to get the WSJ and NYT seamlessly each morning is a major Plus : +2. On the other hand, I will either have to purchase two copes of each book if I want to read in bed, get a new wife, or read one book on the PDA and a different one on the Kindle. -1.
JerryEF is offline   Reply With Quote