View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #63
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Well I just did this and it was not a FULL backup. Seems like it should be, but afterwards when I went into Movies in iTunes I didn't see my side-loaded videos, and the same goes for books, music, etc. I might have done something wrong, but I don't think so. The side loaded items are still on my iPod, they just didn't get backed up.
Thank you for correcting me! I really thought iTunes backups were complete backups. Though now that you mention it, I did have to resync my Kndle books. Sorry for my misleading statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Items side-loaded into third-party applications get backed up (unless the app chooses for them not to be), items loaded into the built-in Music, Video, Books categories do not, because it is assumed that these already sit in your iTunes library on the computer, so the iThing version is just a copy.
(Not justifying the distinction, just explaining it.)
The part about apps choosing not to backup is the part that worries me. Items that are saved in the iTunes library I can understand, and I only have to resync to get them back. But app data, that's scary. It means a badly conceived app, or an app that assumes I make separate backups on THEIR cloud (which I don't always do, and much less frequently than I back up on iTunes) can lead to a loss of my data. I don't like it. There should be an option to make a full backup of an iThingie, at least manually.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote