View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Something is preventing custom upgrades on my jailbroken KPW 5.3.1

I've bought a KPW.
It was provided with 5.3.1 firmware
  1. installed the jailbreak
  2. registered the kindle
  3. updated the kindle to 5.3.3
  4. put the device in airplane mode
  5. installed kindlet jailbreak
  6. installed JBPatch
  7. applied the USE_ALT_FONTS hack
  8. ran ;fc-cache

So far, so good.

At this point I tried to install the libfreetype replacement, since one of the fonts I installed was smudged.

I copied the update_libfreetype-6.8.1_install.bin to the root of my device. I went to the settings menu and the "update kindle" entry was grayed. The update*.bin file was no longer in place.

I also tried with usbnetworking which I forgot to install and it also did not work.

It looks like that any *.bin file gets automatically deleted after I unload the kindle from PC.

At this point I tried to downgrade to 5.3.1 again. And it worked.

The jailbreak was still in place but I tried to install it again, and it worked. But when I tried to install anything it did not work, again: grayed menu entry and file deleted.

I also obviously tried to rename the update as update_kindle_5.3.1.bin but it did not work, either.

What the hell is happening?

Last edited by pirl8; 02-26-2013 at 01:47 PM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote