View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
The limit of character driven S/F is - do you like the character(s)?

If you don't, then you miss everything else the author was saying.

Really good S/F is multi layered. Character development is only one layer.

A Literary Fiction reading friend, had to read Dune. His comment after was that it was "just an adventure story" and not worth his time. When I pointed out some of the other layers of the novel, such as a study of ecology, or predestination vs. free will, OPEC power politics, among others, all I got was. "gee, I didn't notice that".

He only got out of it the surface story.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote