View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
The big thing to remember about the time period we are talking about is that writers made their money on magazine sales and any book sales was pure gravy. It wasn't uncommon at all to see books produced that were collection of short stories or expanded novellas. One sees that with Heinlien, Asimov, Clarke, Zelazny and Moorcock just to name a few authors we have talked about in recent threads.

To comment on the original post of this thread, yes, stories were very much influenced by editors at the time. They were the guys buys the stories so if you wanted to sell, you adjusted to the editor. One sometimes sees collections of short stories based on the magazine or editor/imprint that bought them. A bit like musicians and labels.

I read a lot of Asimov in the library since he was pretty popular with librarians. The vast majority of his books are not available as ebooks. I've got the Foundation Trilogy and the main robot books. I would love to get his Black Widowers series as eBooks (I have one in hardback, note the Black Widower book that showed up in the Kindle store a couple of months ago is likely a pirated version. $2.99 for a long dead author and no publisher listed is a pretty darn good tell tale).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote