View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 11:23 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Those that can't write ... read about it.

My current project seems to be stalled at the moment. Not writer's block, just too much else (computer work) going on to concentrate. So I've taken up Hitch's recommendation (well, reminder, it has been on my list of some time) and started reading "Self-Editing for Fiction Writers" by Renni Browne and Dave King (2nd edition).
Glad to be of service.

Quote:
I'm impressed. There is not a lot in there that I have not read before, in one form or another, but here the concepts are presented together very clearly with examples and exercises. (The cartoons aren't very effective for me, in the paperback edition I purchased some of them are barely legible, but you can't have everything.) While little of it is completely new, they do identify some important distinctions that you rarely see mentioned elsewhere (eg: adverbs that are props for your dialogue versus those that modify the verb "said", as in "he said softly"). I find these distinctions really help to make the concepts clearer, because you get to see what is bad about the poor choices as a contrast against those things that (in their proper place) may actually add value.
I think that SEFW is the most approachable--and therefore, the most useful--of the "how to" books. I don't even remember the old cartoons; my paper copy is pretty damn worn, and I have the book on my Kindle now, for easy search/reference.

Quote:
One thing I particularly like is that they make it clear early on that these aren't hard rules. They're guidelines, things to watch out for and try to balance. Which isn't to say that some things are not strongly recommended, but there is little of the unwarranted exaggeration you see on so many blogs and articles around the 'net.
IME, trying to find pearls of writing wisdom on blogs is a fool's game. Not saying that there aren't ANY good blogs, but...

Quote:
And one aspect that I did not really expect: it's remarkably easy to read. I've only been at it for a day and I'm already two-thirds through. No, I'm not working my way through all the exercises this time around, I expect to be reading it again (and again ...), especially now that I've found it such an easy read and one that I can relate to very well.
Glad you liked it. I think it's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post

Sounds like a great book. Don't tell her I said this but Hitch knows her stuff.
Thanks, Cin. ;-) I won't tell a soul.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote