Thread: ancle or ankle?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks for all the responses; it seems that there are various opinions available.

But your comment, AnemicOak, makes me think of yet another facet to the discussion. If I expected the ebook to be read by people in the 19th century I would of course (as best I can) use the spelling, punctuation, and hyphenation that they were used to. But I am designing the ebooks for people in the 21st century. I certainly think the the books are worth reading and are enjoyable today.

I'm afraid I don't see a logical reason to use the spelling, punctuation, and hyphenation in fashion in the 19th century in a book intended to be read in the
21st century. Can anyone give me a rational reason why I should?

Perhaps I should mention that I have clearly stated that I have changed spelling, punctuation, and hyphenation in my 'Preface to this edition' in the ebooks I've done recently. I'm trying out different wordings.
After the hoo-ha caused by your revelation of the fact that you changed words in an eBook and didn't say in the eBook's thread, I would think you would make sure any changes you've made are clearly documented and better yet, stop making these changes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote