View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I bet if built from scratch today, Kovid might well create an abstraction layer plugin system. It would make doing your idea of rot-13 shifting the file names easily doable and provide a great deal of flexibility.
Yes, it would, but why would anyone use rot-13 shifted names? They only make sense if you are trying to prevent users from direct access, and providing an option to make direct access easy is contrary to that.

Quote:
The OP was relating as a programmer and not implying any insults.
I agree - it's a programming point of view, but I'd like to see the effort for such a major rewrite justified. So far I've seen two justifications:
1) stability - something that does not seem to be a problem, (and I don't agree with), and
2) reducing complaints here from new users who want a different library structure - but even the OP says the abstraction needs to be buried and hidden from the newbie.

It's not enough. IMO, there are too many reasons not to do this - certainly not now.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote