Thread: Manga?!?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #25
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Well, if we're going to talk about variety, in addition to making recommendations specifically for volworth, who likes Orson Scott Card, Philip Pullman, and Terry Pratchett (among others), I should say that I'm fonder of Aa Megamisama (Ah My Goddess) than nearly anything else we've been talking about. I also like a lot of shoujo titles such as Fushigi Yuugi, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Sailor Moon. I find that these stories have quite a bit of depth, especially when compared to what's sold in the US for the same audience. :/

But the reason I asked what volwrath likes to read is so we could make recommendations suited to the particular reader. I think age and presumed gender are less accurate indicators of what manga someone might like than finding out what written fiction they like. I could make a pretty strong case for the better shoujo stories being more like Pullman than any of the other titles we've been discussing. And I think someone who likes Pratchett would probably like Rumiko Takahashi, and her stuff is pretty easy to find.

Orson Scott Card is harder to match. That's where I'm thinking Evangelion would be a good suggestion, but again, the manga isn't quite like the anime. Does anyone have a manga to suggest that's somewhat similar to the Evangelion anime? Revolutionary Girl Utena, maybe. Nausicaa reminds me a little bit of Wyrms, or a little bit of Speaker for the Dead. That's why I think it might be a good recommendation here.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote