View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Yeah, well. Free e-books, for anything other than promotional or early-career-advancement, is a dead end. You can't put enough ads into an e-book to turn a real profit, especially if you do not want to ruin the reading experience; and unlike musicians, writers don't have separate sources of revenue streams like merchandising or concerts.

Let me know when Facebook and YouTube actually generate a profit -- or better yet, let me know when Anderson releases an e-book version at no charge. Then we can talk about how everything should be Free.
i don't know much about facebook, but there was an ad in one of the various bookstore emails this week for a book called "the accidental billionnaires". the billionaires in question are the two guys who created facebook, which made them rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Nah, there will still be sales. It may only be the "click here to donate" type of sale, but that's still income.

Think people won't pay for what's available for free? Look at the bottled water industry. They'll pay for convenient packaging (which, in the case of ebooks, may mean "nice format" and/or "download from a site I already visit") and sometimes from brand loyalty.
i agree. it might be more about the service than the content but people are definitely willing to pay for convenience, otherwise all those frozen dinner companies would be out of a job too.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote