View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Hmm... murder mystery seems a common/close fit for this criteria:

The Arthur Upfield's (Inspector Bonaparte / "Bony") books are mostly under 250 pages. I really enjoy these, but then they're set in Australia and I'm Australian ... not sure how well they come across for others.

I see the first few of my Ian Rankin (Inspector Rebus) novels come in at under 250 (or not much over). I enjoyed the half-a-dozen or so of these I've read. Pretty dark and not so great that I've rushed out to grab them all, but still a good read.

A lot of older Science Fiction and Fantasy fits into this page range if you're interested:

Michael Moorcock has several series that fall well within this limit. I particularly enjoyed the Michael Kane series (an unabashed tribute to Edgar Rice Burroughs and done very well), and also his Dancers at the End of Time fantasy. The Elric series is probably more famous, and not a bad read.

Most of the afore-mentioned Edgar Rice Burroughs books are within this length.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis are all under 200 pages (160 odd in the paperback editions I have).

The closest I seem to come in newer series is the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer. Amazon lists the first one at 300 pages. My paperback editions all come out over 300 pages - but the font is quite large. But they're also light easy reading so that might make up for it for you Intended for younger readers, but I really enjoyed these.

And if you're not averse to books for younger readers, Terry Pratchett's Bromeliad trilogy (Truckers, Diggers and Wings) is brilliant - an epic in miniature. Less brilliant, but still good (younger reader) novels are his Johnny Maxwell books. And these all come in well under 250 pages each.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote