View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Overall, I liked the story enough so that I have already purchased the next book - and I am looking forward to reading it. But defining Rothfuss 'the next Tolkien', as many have, is preposterous. He is a good writer, the story is intriguing, the world interesting - and somehow original. Yet, this book does not have the epic grandeur of The Lord of the Rings. The more appropriate comparison I have heard is defining this book as "Harry Potter for adults". [/I]
I've never managed to make it through Tolkien, despite several attempts, so I can't compare. I read this book in March, and here's a portion of what I wrote:

Quote:
A young (but very special) boy goes on adventures. Sometimes he loses, sometimes he kicks ass, but it's rarely predictable. Writing reminded me of Robin Hobb in it's detail and slow pace, and of course the University reminds me fleetingly of the magical Hogwarts from Harry Potter.
So I have to agree with you on the Harry Potter for adults Or perhaps Wizard of Earthsea (if that book weren't so one-dimensional).

I grew a bit tired of how Kvothe was always trying to find tuition money, but frankly, I spent a great deal of my time as a college student with similar issues, so it resonated with me.

The part that's killing me: where are the scrael?! These nasty little buggers drew me in during the first part of the book, and they haven't (yet) been heard from. I want to know more about the scrael!

After finishing Kingkiller 1, I promptly read Kingkiller 2 and loved it as well. The only negative thing I have to say about book 2 is that there's an extended scene in the fairy world that doesn't fit the flow of the narrative at all, and it draaaaags. But despite the poor pacing in that one area, the second book was also a solid and enjoyable read.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote