View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #70
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My own opinion is that the story doesn't support this, as once the donation cycle starts the clone is on a fast track to completion, it seems, and most recipients won't require a lot of organs. Also, the point is made about how many diseases have been conquered by use of clone donors and not everyone's got a clone (as Dazrin pointed out above).
Fair enough. As I say I haven't read it recently and my memory is infected with other sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I haven't watched the Ishiguro video yet and I may not. I don't care what an author thinks of his work or what he was trying to convey.
I tend to agree but it's sometimes interesting to compare an author's intent with the result. And especially here where the author is being very clear that he cares about some things and not others.

Quote:
If he has to spell it out, then it was a failure (for me, obviously, and maybe I was just obtuse). I'm a staunch adherent of the school that says that a work has to stand on its own merits.
Agree.

Never Let Me Go definitely works for me as whole, but that side of it detracts a little.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote