View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah the binary install is (largely) distro independent
I got that to work.

Quote:
It is really neccessary, calibre uses cutting edge features of a lot of libraries, in fact as I often make a habit of submitting patches for bug fixes or new features to the maintainers of libraries that calibre uses, even the cutting edge ones are often not enough, hence the binary installer.
OK, I was only interested in the command line programs and the possibility to fix the code but maybe they also require the latest versions.

Personally I try to use the versions of programs that are in common distributions because I think it is a great advantage if people can build the application without much trouble. This of course has the disadvantage that you might have to work around bugs and other limitations that are fixed in later versions.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote