View Single Post
Old 05-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #12
pazos
cosiņeiro
pazos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pazos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pazos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pazos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pazos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pazos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pazos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pazos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pazos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pazos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pazos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: mostly kobos (mini, auraHD, auraOne)
Great!!!!

I'm moving from my house these days, so my dev machine is off right now. However you should consider two things before starting:

1: if you want a -true- headless server maybe you don't need kobo software at all and you can skip the (user) fat32 partition - and maybe the recovery partition - and use ext2 instead (expand it to the size of your sdcard)

2: if you want a -true- server you'll need iptables support (and maybe other things like nfs/smb sharings and so on). For this we need to rebuild the kernel.

1 is easy to achieve using gparted, but for skipping the recovery partition we need to tinker with u-boot. I downloaded sources and look the code for mx50_rdp_mddr_512.h - board config for kobo aura hd (glo and mini seems the same but with other dram initialization (see mx50_rdp_mddr_256.h). All seems pretty standard. People at forum.doozan.com were able to built u-boot for a variety of plug devices. Their bootcmd has a logic that can be reused for kobos:

1. try to load /linux from external source (first partition/ext2)
2. if load then run linux with root pointing to external source
3. else load linux from internal source (unpartitioned 10MB in internal sdcard, offset 1MB, max size 3MB) with root poiting to internal source

Next weekend I'll have serial terminal access to my testing aura hd and I'll check some ideas

2 is easy. We can build kobo kernel from source with any features we want <3MB. source -> https://github.com/pazos/linux-2.6.35.3-kobo

Of course all of this is optional. I run lighttpd & php-cgi on my reader without any other modifications, but keep in mind I do this because I rely on kobo software. Any kobo working without a screen should be a good target for buildroot or, at least, some improvements above the stock firmware.

Last edited by pazos; 05-29-2016 at 02:40 PM. Reason: noise
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote