View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
forkpower
forkpower has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-t1
i connected the reader in recoverymode to my linux-machine. /etc/sdb was the blockdevice of the reader. i used hexedit directly on this blockdevice, not on any partition. you do not need to mount any partition for editing the blockdevice via hexedit. unmount all partitions before you access the blockdevice. the whole flashdisk can be handled like a big imagefile.

mounting is only needed for copying the updatepack to the reader-partition. you can do this before or after replacing the version strings.

i found the version strings using the searchfunction of hexedit. replacing has to be done via keyboard. after replacing a string you can continue the search. it stops on any found instance with the cursor. for searching and replacing all strings i only needed about 5 mins. in the right corner of the hexedit screen the content is shown als plaintext. you have to look in this section. on the left area you only can see the bytecode in hex. (use tab to switch to ascii mode before searching with strg+s)

you have to replace all instances on the whole blockdevice ("1.0.07.05070" with "1.0.03.11140"). there can be more than one instance. changes must be written to the device, of cource. this can be done in hexedit too.

after this the updatepack from reader-partition should run correctly like i wrote above. after update the device should be working nice.

Last edited by forkpower; 05-29-2015 at 12:41 PM.
forkpower is offline   Reply With Quote