View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
skipper113
skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: DPT-S1
I bought a DPT-S1 for around 90,000 yen = $900. I bought it for the purpose of reading pdfs and writing memos on presentation materials in meetings etc.

The device works as expected, and I use it mostly to read epaper editions of WSJ, company annual reports and calibre extracted pdfs. Zooming and switching to 4x4 or 16x16 is nice, but its speed is not anything close to an ipad and can be stressful especially when your pdf has a lot of pictures.

Writing feels much better than any pen/stylus I tried for thinkpad tablet 2, ipad using evernote's pen, or z ultra. It is not as good as the boogie board though, since DPT-s1 does still lag a bit and the pen does not have greyscale shades embedded. Your writing looks 'blocky' (2x2 pixel) and after a few seconds lag, it tries to smooth out your writing to put some anti-alias effect onto the writing. Touch of the penpoint is softer than that of a thinkpad stylus, and there is less sound of the tip touching the screen which sometimes bothers you when you write on a glass screen such as an ipad.

Battery life feels close to that of a kindle paperwhite, but wifi and folder syncing eats up a lot of juice. Charging time feels close to a paperwhite too (I don't think the battery capacity is big).

Since it supports webdav, I tried setting up a mirrored version of dropbox+webdav to connect. This didn't work that well, since DPT-S1 will try to sync everything under a folder recursively and it is really slow. The downloading could take minutes, which is stressful, and it feels much faster and less stressful by syncing your stuff on dropbox or something, then taking out the target pdf when needed on the go by using an android device or something via a SD card (which is not ideal for iphone users though).

Overall, I am really satisfied with the device as a gadget lover. But I also feel that ipad air is good enough for ordinary consumers who want to read pdfs readily on the fly and are ok printing out A4 or letter-sized paper.

What I would want from the device is some vnc application.
Rendering doesn't have to be fast, but if I can vnc onto my computer and have basic input via the software keyboard and stylus, I wouldn't have to take the whole burden of downloading pdfs, but rather be able to see what I need to see. It shouldn't be hard as (I suspect) the device is android based.

Another thing I am trying to do (if I have time!) is to use raspberry pi to act as a vnc server, and run guacamole or tightvnc server and try to access it via the DPT-S1 web browser. HTML5 works at least partially in the browser (Google docs work for most part), so it would be worth a try.

Apologies for the long reply. I am happy to answer any questions.
skipper113 is offline   Reply With Quote