View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #343
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I understand that lots of folks come here to post all the flaws in the Amazon Kindles.

Sorry about it, but some of us like Amazon Kindles and also like to post their LIKES here.

Complainers should have their say here but SUPPORTERS of Amazon should also have their say here.

I happen to like my Paperwhite 2013 and my HDX 2013 and have found NO major flaws in those units. If that pisses anyone off, so be it. If I did find a flaw, I would have been the first to post it.

I have found that the most complaints come from Calibre and Apprentice Alf users. They seem to want Amazon to cater to their needs when the vast majority of READERS of eBooks have never even heard of those software applications. They like to read eBooks purchased from other suppliers than Amazon and like to side load, strip DRM and use Calibre for all eBook functions.

That is just fine for THEM but others of us conventional eBook readers also have opinions.

Remember, there is an "IGNORE" function here. Any of us can simply IGNORE posts they don't want to read. USE IT if you don't like my posts. I don't use it because I like to read posts of others even if I disagree with them.
I love Amazon. I love Kindles - have had almost every generation of Kindle. The PW2 was my first new Kindle in a couple of years, and I was thrilled with it because it brought me back to a Kindle (I'd been reading on my iPad Mini with the lovely Marvin app).

Since this disastrous-for-some update, I'm able to keep wifi off and continue to love my PW2 because of Calibre and Alf. I can use them to sideload my books from Calibre. I turned off wifi on my PW2 as soon as I saw the issues people were having with the new Cloud Collections feature. If you're the only person on your account, and you've kept your Collections fairly consistent, the update will work fine for you. But for me, with 6 people on my account, and 4 of them having had multiple Kindles and collections on all of them, it's an unmitigated nightmare. I do not want to see everyone else's Collections on my PW2. Nor do I want to risk deleting their Collections in trying to clean up my Home Page. So wifi stays off, and I keep loving my Kindle.

A lot of updates either to hardware or software require Calibre and/or Alf developers to make some tweaks. Sometimes things can't be tweaked. And we users just have to deal with it - we aren't required to be happy about it. But it's issues like this one that have convinced some of us to use Calibre (and Alf) to manage our ebook libraries.

Happy the update is working for you, but you don't seem to understand the issues that some of us are having (or would have if we updated) with 5.4.2.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote