View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 03:18 AM   #115
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Funny thing is how so many seem to get the same impression while taking his comments out of context. I mean if there is agreement between two or more people that a third party is saying x then either the majority of people are very stupid or they are reaching a logical conclusion about what that party is talking about. I'm inclined to go with the latter explanation myself.
As I said back in post #108, I really don't think there is any real difference in substance between what his comments meant in context and what people have taken him to mean. Whether he meant stupid ebooks as opposed to enhanced ebooks, as in smart phones as opposed to stupid phones, or whether he actually meant ebooks are a stupid product as in they offer nothing over print books really doesn't matter. I think he really doesn't understand why so many have abandoned print books for unenhanced ebooks, which he perceives as offering nothing worthwhile over print books. One might even extrapolate his thinking as extending to stupid ebooks are bought by stupid people. The more I think about some of the comments by Big 5 CEO's, particularly him and Caroline Reidy, the more I think the Big 5 were really blindsided with the sudden success of the ebook, as they had indeed thought it a "stupid" product inferior or at least offering nothing over print books. That they genuinely thought real competition with print books would come only with enhanced ebooks, which they were no doubt better prepared to deal with.

Last edited by darryl; 03-02-2018 at 03:22 AM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote